Healthy Snacking: Choco Chip Banana Oat Bars
Healthy, gluten free banana oatmeal breakfast bars that taste like just like banana bread.
Easy to make and even easier to eat!
•2 1/4 cups gluten free oats
•1/2 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
•1/2 teaspoon baking soda
•1/4 teaspoon salt
•1 teaspoon cinnamon
•3 medium ripe bananas
•2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (gluten free, if desired)
•1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce •1/4 cup honey (agave nectar if vegan)
•1/3 cup chocolate chips (vegan, if desired)
•For chocolate drizzle:
•2 tablespoons chocolate chips (vegan, if desired)
•1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9x9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. To make oat flour: Place oats into blender or food processor and blend for 1-2 minutes until oatmeal resembles flour. You may need to stop blender and stir oats a couple of times to ensure that all oats have been blended. Transfer oat flour medium bowl; whisk in baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
3. Place bananas, vanilla, applesauce, and honey into blender; blend 1-2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Add to oat flour mixture and mix until just combined.
4. Gently fold in 1/3 cup of chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly with rubber spatula. Bake for 15 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Cool 10-15 minutes on wire rack.
5. Prepare drizzle by adding 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips and coconut oil in microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high 30 seconds; stir well to combine then drizzle over the top of bars.
Cut bars into 16 squares and enjoy!
NOTES Bars can be frozen. Simply bake, cool, cut; store in ziploc bag. Reheat individually for 30 seconds in microwave. Make sure you read all ingredients and nutrition info to ensure recipe is gluten free/vegan, if that is what you desire. Fold in 1/4 cup coconut flakes or extra chocolate chips for an even sweeter treat! Extra ripe bananas are best for this recipe.